Economics and Business: A-level
Exam Board: Edexcel
Entry Requirements: Grade 5 or above in both GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths.
watch our video about economics & business a-level
A subject that prepares you for life
Studying business prepares everyone for future life. Ultimately all students will be involved with the world of business - as a consumer, an entrepreneur or an employee.
The course, officially titled 'Economics B', is taught by three subject specialists who have over 50 years’ teaching experience between them, plus experience in the commercial world. We pride ourselves on getting students to reach beyond their initial aspirations. In 2019, 79% of students gained grades A* to C.
We work exceptionally hard as a team to ensure the best outcomes and have strong relationships with students, who often stay in touch long after their education at Silverdale Sixth Form has finished.
The course takes economic theory and asks student to apply this to business world.
Theme 1: Markets, consumers and firms
- Scarcity, choice and potential conflicts.
- Enterprise, business and the economy.
- Market failure and government intervention.
Theme 2: The wider economic environment
- Business growth and competitive advantage.
- Life in a global economy.
- Introduction to macroeconomic policy.
Theme 3: The global economy
- Economic factors in business expansion.
- Impact of globalisation on global companies.
- Inequality and redistribution.
Theme 4: Making markets work
- Competition and market power.
- Macroeconomic policies and impact on firms and individuals.
- Risk and the financial sector.
We attract around 50% of students who have never studied GCSE Business or Economics; as a result lessons are differentiated, catering for those who have some prior knowledge and for those who have none.
We teach active lessons designed to engage students whilst building crucial skills such as evaluation and analysis for their examination. We encourage reading around the subject and an active interest in our dynamic subject to ensure that the perspective you bring to answers is fully rounded. We also have a Twitter page: @SilverdaleEcon.
Beyond the classroom
Past activities have included:
- The Big Challenge enterprise competition.
- Trip to Jaguar investigating lean production.
- Visiting speakers from Thorntons, British Business Bank and Webmart.
Many students have used their skills to work in a variety of careers linked to Business and Economics and beyond– from finance to marketing, sales to law, banking to setting up their own business. Alumni include the CEO of Deciem, an Investment Banker at Morgan Stanley, owners of And Năm Sông café in Broomhill, the MD of Resolve IT Solutions, the Marketing Manager at HD Sports Sheffield, as well as teachers, accountants, and postgraduate academics.