The Performing Arts department aims to ignite a lifelong passion for the subject. We want students to be free to explore creatively above and beyond their expectations and challenge their own ideas with that of their peers. Our goal is to promote interest in the arts whilst developing lasting skills to carry them through into their chosen futures. The Performing Arts department offers a wide variety of extra-curricular programmes that change throughout the year in order to engage students from all different cohorts. All pupils will be given every opportunity to develop their skills and talents via the curriculum and extra-curricular courses.
(AQA EXAM BOARD)
wHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
You will learn how to pour your heart and soul into the study of this most creative medium. It will give you a sense of belonging, creativity, security and freedom. You will develop your technical accuracy and performance skills through learning set phrases and working upon your own unique choreography. You will learn the essential foundations to the skill of choreography and explore the potential of movement. Dance appreciation will begin to shape your own creative response to become more crafted and original. By exploring professional pieces and those of your peers, the course will heighten your critical appreciation and analytical skills both verbally and through written work.
how will this be assessed?
Component 1 – Performance and Choreography (60%):
- 30% performance - student are marked technically on 2 solo set phrases and a duo/trio performance.
- 30% - choreography – solo/group choreography.
- Assessed by teacher moderated by AQA.
Component 2 – Dance appreciation (written exam) (40%):
- Knowledge and understanding of choreographic process and performance skills
- Critical appreciation of own work.
- Critical appreciation of professional work (6 works).
- Externally assessed.
BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
The drama department offers a wide range of extra-curricular on a rolling schedule.
- The annual School production offers a classic Musical theatre school experience. We pride ourselves on an inclusive production of all abilities to a high standard. Student develop their performance skills and confidence whilst making friendships across the school
- The Arts Award is a new venture to the school and we currently are offering the Bronze award and Silver award to a range of students who are developing their love for the arts through the journey of the award.
- Showcases throughout the year offer platforms for all the performing dance clubs. They are also a way that we share the talents of our budding dancers, choreographers and we use it as a tool to raise performance skills for our key stage 4 GCSE students. Ultimately they are a great way for family and friends to enjoy the commitment and talents of our students and celebrate their hard work.
Dance complements many aspects of the broader curriculum through analytical skills, critical thinking and developing self-confidence and expression. It enhances communication skills both verbally and in the written form. Dance is a good preparation and foundation for further dance studies in A-level and BTEC National Diplomas. Careers might include areas of dance industry, publishing, entertainment, teaching or any job which involves expressive, communicative or analytical skills. The course clearly supports a healthy body and mind approach to life.