Communication in adverse weather conditions
Published on 08/12/17
We would like to remind everyone in our school community of our procedures in the event of adverse weather conditions being forecast or experienced across our local area.
We aim to open as usual every day. In the event of adverse weather conditions, we will follow our usual procedures, ensuring that weather conditions are monitored on an ongoing basis and the site is checked regularly.
Please do not ring the school to enquire regarding status. We are open unless indicated otherwise via the communications methods listed below.
In the event of adverse weather conditions the school will make a decision about any potential closure by 7am and will communicate this via the following methods:
- On the school website as the latest news item.
- On the school's social media pages - Facebook (@SilverdaleSch) and Twitter (@SilverdaleSch).
- As a message sent via email or, if we do not have your email address, via text message.
- If you have the Weduc communications app installed on your phone/table, you will also receive an in-app notification.
- School staff will also receive a text message via our 'Snow Tree Text Chain'.
- We will also notify the local authority, Sheffield Council, who will update their school closures website at: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/schoolclosures
- You can also register for school closure alerts at that webpage.
- The local radio stations will also be notified.
In making any decision regarding change to our usual arrangements, we are mindful of the health and safety of all concerned as well as understanding of the difficulties families may have in terms of planning in advance, finding childcare etc. We will do our very best to make sure that any decisions are the right ones given the information available to us and that they are communicated to you in good time. We are sure that you will also have contingency plans in place – let’s hope that we don’t have to use them!
Parents need to make their own judgement regarding the safety of their journey to and from school. If driving to school, please park considerately, given the possible increase in traffic.
Thank you for your support and cooperation.
Mrs Sarah Sims
Co-Head of School